CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cleaning Out the Fridge Adventures

I have to admit. I'm not the best at cleaning out the refrigerator. Nor am I good at spelling refrigerator, which just took me 3 times to figure it out. Spelling is obviously not one of my strong points. But anyhow... I realized night before last that it was time to clean out the fridge.

Very often I open the fridge and think to myself, "Self" because that is what I call myself, Self. "Self" I say. "You really should clean out the refrigerator. It's looking pretty full and there is no way that everything in there is within it's expiration date." But then I argue with the self that wants to clean out the fridge and point out that it is only Sunday (or Friday or Thursday or whatever day it is that isn't Wednesday) and the garbage truck doesn't come until Thursday morning. And all of that food stuffs that I am going to clean out will just stink to high heaven if I throw it out on Sunday (or Friday or Thursday or whatever day it is that isn't Wednesday). Because, you see, the garbage truck doesn't come until Thursday morning. And it will stink by then.

But on Friday night (or maybe it was Thursday night) Son2 was over for dinner. Have I mentioned that I like having him around? So he was over for dinner and we were having strawberry shortcake for dessert. He wanted whipped cream on his. There was a can in the fridge on the top shelf in the front and all the way to the left. Apparently he got lost in my directions and instead of getting out that cool can of whipped cream that squirts when you push the nozzle, he instead found a tub of fat free cool whip type stuff that I bought at Aldi a while back. which I had apparently forgotten about. He opened it up while standing at the kitchen counter.

It smelled like a meth lab. Or more to the point it smelled like what I would think a meth lab would smell like. It was awful. He shut it up quickly. I got up from my perch nearest the computer and went into the kitchen to get him the whipped cream in a can stuff. And then I looked at the expiration date on the cool whip type stuff. It only expired 10 days ago. So I read the ingredients on the tub. It had more chemicals than I could count. And this fat free stuff is good for us how?

So anyway, I obviously needed to clean out the fridge. And yesterday I did. And I realize now that
  1. I need to clean it out more often.
  2. The fridge is freezing everything on the top shelf. (i knew this already)
  3. It is leaking water pretty badly.
  4. the leaking water and freezing top shelf means that the jar of roasted red peppers in the back of the top shelf in the center will be frozen to the shelf.
  5. Sauerkraut seems to never go bad.
  6. I don't know when I last bought applesauce but there are 2 jars of it on the frozen top shelf.
  7. We do not need to buy provolone for a while. We have 3 separate open things of it.
  8. Worchestier (sp?) sauce has an expiration date. So does mustard. but both seem to keep indefinitely.
  9. We have 4 kinds of jelly.
  10. water accumulating in the bottom of the veggie drawers make veggies age too fast.
  11. The dogs love leftovers. I probably should have just given it to them originally.
  12. There are some leftover type things that come out of the fridge that you can't even feed to the dogs.
Yes. It is Sunday. And yes. I did just write about cleaning out the fridge. Have you come to expect anything less?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

LOL! Case in point why I read this blog! :) Makes me smile.